HTLA has adopted a school uniform to foster a professional, safe, and respectful environment and all regulations relating thereto should be read in that context. The school uniform requirement is in effect from the time a student enters the HTLA campus in the morning until she/he leaves in the afternoon, regardless of the time. Students may change into “X-Block clothes” for the X-Block period but are required to change back into their school uniform after X-Block. The uniform applies to field trips, site visits, academic internships, and other school related activities.
- Long khaki color or black pants/slacks (any brand) - NO jeans or denim pants
- Khaki color or black skirt or shorts that are mid-thigh or longer length
- Long or short sleeve solid navy blue, light blue, white, or black collared polo shirts. The polo shirt may have a small logo (e.g. alligator) but no other writing.
- Students may wear a solid color white, navy blue, light blue, brown, or black knit sweater or jacket without a hood.
- Students may wear HTLA hoodies. No other hoodies will be allowed.
- Closed toe shoes (i.e., no flip flops or open-toed sandals)
- Hats and/or bandanas are not allowed to be worn inside the school.
- Clothes are to be free of rips and tears.
The Charter School offers for purchase HTLA polo shirts and hooded sweatshirts for students who wish to purchase them. HTLA polo shirts and/or hoodies are not required and are completely optional for purchase.
If families are unable to afford new HTLA uniforms, HTLA offers a Community Closet that has gently worn uniforms that have been donated by HTLA families and are available to students free of charge. If you would like to receive uniforms from the Community Closet, please see the Main Office.
At the discretion of the administration, “Casual Dress” (during which the HTLA uniform will be relaxed) may be given. There is no presumption of “Casual Friday” or relaxation of the dress code on any other day unless the students are notified by the administration by email and/or website. Casual Friday is generally, but not solely dependent on whether or not the school campus is clean all week and students have been in compliance with the school uniform all week. Students will be notified of “Casual Friday” via the HTLA website and/or via email.
The following items are prohibited during Casual Friday (or at any other time on campus):
- Text on clothing that promotes violence, alcohol, tobacco, or drugs or has explicit sexual references or profanity
- Exposed mid-sections
- Hats, hoods, or bandannas inside the building, except for religious headwear.
- Open-toed shoes (including flip flops or sandals)
- Any clothing that in the determination of the teachers or administration cause a distraction to the education of others.
Consequences for the HTLA uniform violations:
- Students will be sent to the office to obtain clothing (from the office or home) in compliance with dress code.
- Students who continue to repeatedly violate dress code may be subject to further consequences which may include a parent meeting with the counselor or principal, detention and/or suspension.
At no time should a student’s appearance be a “distraction to the education of others,” including but not limited to clothing that is too short or tight.